Labels

Monday, January 12, 2015

Armenia Mania - Embracing Winter & Crashing a Wedding at Abovyan (Day 2)

So I was lucky to be welcomed into Armenian hospitality by these two "brothers" that I met at Geghard. We roam the monastery up to the prayer caves and tied our wishes to the trees and of course photo session took place. 

may all my wishes comes true!!!!
my newfound friends

 "To this day, near many ancient churchyards and small roadside chapels, you can see a tree that is festooned with rags. Armenians go to tie a piece of cloth on these “wishing trees”; each rag represents a wish or a prayer that the supplicant hopes will be granted by God".





4th Stop: Back to Garni Temple

We decided to do a quick stop back to Garni Temple on our way to Lake Sevan since the guys haven't cover that area yet. We chanced upon a group of tourist from Europe (Russia or Denmark??? not so sure) who are very friendly. Well, I kinda feel like a celebrity when they wanted to take pictures with me.(I strongly suspect its the first time they encounter an Asian...)
moi and my fans...just kidding...(other tourist at Garni Teple)

5th Stop: St. Hovhannes Mkrtich Church in Kotayk Diocese

Weather is chilly even if the afternoon sun is peeking on us. Since we are passing the city of Abvoyan, another quick stop is a must to see the newly built St. Hovhannes Mkrtich church. 
I say, it was a very intricately constructed church and the locals said that the cross on top of the church was made of pure gold... so that's a wow!

Weddings are being held when we get there, and it was fascinating to watch the wedding entourage. They do remind me of Barbie dolls, so my friend George asked the bride if I can have a photo opportunity with them. It was quite amazing how one of the guest also joined us...(yeah, of course I am the only Asian face among them... its like a Martian in the midst of eathlings...) 

to Abovyan we gooooo
can i say wow????

can you see the gold cross???


more prayers for a safe trip

ceiling of St. Hovannes

ongoing wedding...lucky me!!!

wedding crash on the side? check!

the wedding crasher in me!!!!

My Driver/Tour Guide Gagik and my newfound Syrian friends

lost in Aboyvan ???? No... quick stop at St. Hovannes

moi St. Hovannes

intricate ..wow!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages