Labels

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Armenia Mania - Bari Galust Yerevan!!!!

DAY 1: November 29 (10:15am) - The Pink Capital of Armenia 

There is no time difference between UAE and Armenia, which is a very good thing as I am not fond of jet lags. I was amazed with the Zvarnots Airport upon my arrival because there was no queue and a handful of people can be seen at the arrival lounge so maybe I'm just really THAT lucky to get through the documentation easily? Or perhaps it was the 4 degree freezing weather and off-peak season? I wasn't sure if I can take pictures at the airport so I approached the lady guard (who looks like a General by her well-decorated uniform) and asked for permission to use my camera. Well, I did get it... thus my first Armenian selfie!



Bari Galust Armenia!!!!
Travel Tip No.1: As soon as you passed by the immigration, you need to convert your US Dollars to Armenian Dram (roughly US$1=AMD408) in order to pay for the visa which cost only AMD3000 or US$7 for Single entry up to 21 days. It would be helpful if you printed all your flight details & hotel bookings (carry some supporting documents like bank statements and Company Issued Travel NOC). But if you have enough time to plan the trip, you can easily check out the Armenian E-visa website.

Armenian visa sticker

I finally get to see some "kabayans" while falling into the queue to get my visa-on-arrival sticker. There was two groups actually... three ladies and a couple. Excitement flowed through my veins as I waited for the Immigration to stamp my passport. The group of Filipina girls were so sweet to worry about my safety and even tried to convince their guide to include me in their airport transfer. However, we exchanged numbers because they wanted to ensure I was safe and will be able to get out of Armenia in one piece. 

"Ang tapang mo ate, biro mo mag-isa ka lang! ( you are so brave! imagine you traveled alone!)" the youngest "kabayan" praised my so-called bravery. But honestly, deep inside I am trying to boost my own morale and tell myself that I can really do this. After all, everyone knows where am I at the moment. (thank you to FB check-in, my few close friends had their SOP just in case I stopped posting for the next three days to call the police and Philippine Embassy immediately!). Sadly, the girls' tour guide seems to be in a sour mood to take hitch hikers like me so I assured the girls that I can take care of myself and hailed a taxi on my own.

Travel Tip No.2: Airport Transfer to Yerevan is easy as per the Virtual Tourist website. Few men in leather jackets are waiting around the airport lounge who were actually carlifts drivers. Perhaps I look like a 12-year old kid who just lost her way that's why they approached me as soon as they saw I was alone. An English speaking old man made a beeline to me when the "kabayan" car left the airport gate. There was a bit of bargaining from AMD5000 to AMD2500. After agreeing to AMD2500 the old man led me to my driver (all along I thought it will be him who will take me to Hrazdan Hotel. The younger man however was a strictly non-English speaking person, and was either talking to me in Russian or Armenian (by this time, I discovered that I can be a champ in Charade Games!). Armed with a few basic Armenian words I learned on the plane ride, the driver led me to his rickety old sedan parked outside the airport. It was my first freezing walk in my whole entire life...(that was just for starters anyway!) 


statue scenery on the way to Yerevan
Yerevan houses
I was in my full winter clothes (bonnet, thermal jeggings, waterproof boots, layered furry socks, long blouse, leather jacket, scarf, leather gloves and a very cold nose). And the driver? A shirt, jeans and a leather jacket, no socks too! (okay, I'm from the tropical country and its my first time to be a frozen delight!). Despite the shabby appearance and lack of English proficiency, the driver was a master of finger pointing techniques which enabled me to understand the passing sceneries which mostly are grey or brown. 

Hrazdan Hotel is a 3-star landmark building overlooking a deep gorge located at Dzorapi Street, a few kilometers away from the city center with a budget friendly accommodation price for a cheapskate traveler like me. I was housed in a very spacious room on the 9th floor where I have the best view of the Caucasus Mountain. Although the bed linens has a certain stale smell (the room was reeking of cigarette smell which is I assume was quite normal since almost everyone seems to be avid smoker due to the cold weather). The food was okay and the elevator was ancient (well, I came here for history anyway...), staff were friendly in Armenian terms and cleaning the room according to my liking was not a problem as long as you leave a few drams on the table (not a requirement...but I just appreciate personalized services). Pool was dry and empty care for a few fallen leaves (explainable as there is a nearby on-going construction and weather is 2 degrees...so unless you fancy hypothermia...you are welcome to request the staff to fill up the pool). Overall impact of the hotel was that the old grandeur is fading but the view from my room was excellent (not to mention the pocket friendly price).
lobby entrance - restaurant - pool (no water...unless you fancy dipping in 2deg weather) - my lunch/snack
Hrazdan Hotel overlooking St. Hovhannes Church - my room which is in reality a suite (i have my own majlis...very nice....) 
 After hitting up a quick snack/lunch of their Armenian version of  "turón de banana", I was happily sugar-pumped to do my solo city tour via happy feet. It's all about texture and nature... old 1940's wall along the old houses depicts a post-war era. A very helpful Armenian police guided me (imagine like a kindergarten being led across the street...or that's probably how I look at that moment) making all the cars stop as we cross the street. So, I therefore conclude that my first Armenian encounter proved to me that they are somewhat hospitable and ready to help a helpless Filipina who look like a lost puppy in the middle of an unknown city.
exploring Yerevan (a 2-hour walk to the City Center....i got lost for a bit..)


The Writer's Union Bldg - National Assembly of Armenia (i'm not allowed to take pictures of the good-looking soldiers...)

The hotel provided me with a few maps for Yerevan so with no GPS or Google Map to help me out, I basically wandered around the streets, gaining some surprised look from the locals. (I have a feeling that I'll be famous in this country!!!) I passed by dark clothed locals (imagine yourself in the Soviet times where colored clothing was not encouraged to be worn in public) in long coats, leather jackets, knee high boots and made me feel like I'm in some kind of a Fashion TV... if you think the Kardashians are good looking, wait till you see the people of Armenia... they are truly blessed with model runway looks.


Things you need to know about Armenia (or rather historical facts that makes Armenia interesting to me...):


1. Armenia became the first Christian Nation in 301 A.D.

2. Im fascinated with the Ark of Noah and it landed on Mt. Ararat which was part of Armenia.
3. Armenian Alphabet has 38 letters!!!!
4. Merci or Thank you in French is also used in these part of the world...
5. Armenian Genocide in 1915 by Ottoman Turk Empire is still a hot subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages