Labels

Monday, August 18, 2014

Sushi Cravings

I remember my first sushi way back in 1999? when I attended WHO Conference in Intercon Manila.
That event also happened to be the launching of my taste buds for Japanese food. Lunch was buffet and since it's an international convention. ..attendees are from all over the world (yes, they actually wore their traditional national dress)...so food was, of course... international by all means, to cater all taste buds equally.

I was the inexperienced hotel diner (better known as the state-university-paper-staff-sent-to-cover-the-occasion-because-nobody-is-available), I have no idea which type of food to eat. There was Spanish, Mediterranean, Chinese, Filipino, Western among other international food lined up on the buffet table which I can't recognize. My roving eyes caught a cute guy (from another school paper) and yes... I did follow him around at the buffet table... (which I am quite sure he was well aware of... as I was blatantly looking at him in awe). He made a beeline for the Japanese food section, of course I followed like a lovesick puppy.  Heaping up sushi, sashimi and maki's on his plate artistically. .. I did the same while pretending to know what I am actually going to eat.

Walking towards the assigned table which I shared with some professors who actually commented "oh you are a Japanese food lover...how cute..." (yes people, I used to be called "cute"...not because I was cute but because I was small and nerdy with thick eyeglasses perched on the bottom of my flat nose...which is preffered as "cute" by the adults).So, back to my sushi and sashimi... not to mention the wasabi... chopsticks ready (yes..thanks to my noodle addiction in grade school...I was adept in using chopsticks) I dig in while stealing glances to the bedimpled cute guy on the other table who was actually looking at my direction.

Next thing I know, I almost choked due to more-than-a-dollop of wasabi and the alieness of my virgin tongue grasping the  taste of the fresh, uncooked fish. (Did I mention that I forgot to grab some drinks as I was totally preoccupied in googling the guy and food vice-versa???) Adults alarmed, they came to my rescue and almost got drenched gulping large quantity of mineral water that could probably fill a 5-gallon fish tank. I didn't took another bite after that sashimi fiasco.  Yes folks, that was my first sushi experience and I swore off raw fish from my food list while the cute guy (who suddenly grew devil horns right before my eyes) laugh hysterically seeing the uncomfortable gobbling I put myself into.
Hey my post says.. sushi cravings right?

Nope, you are not confused... I was just giving a bit of a history of the love hate relationship of sushi. But here's the real thing.

I got converted. .. totally if I may say so.

Thank you to Tokyo Tokyo in SM Manila and North and my mom's undying love for California maki's. .. I turned a new leaf...  in fact, Japanese leaf to be exact. Drinking red ice tea and gobbling up beef misono and super extra rice was my typical lunch in Makati... my mouth drools automatically at the sight of the Tokyo Tokyo signage just down my office building.

And then I moved in UAE... Japanese food were just beginning to open up the Middle East market at that time.  My very good friend January brought me to the new Japanese restaurant located in Satwa to load up on some maki's supplied on the endless conveyor belt (I was still hesitant on the sashimi and sushi at that time...let's say I prefer my food warmed up or at least cooked even a bit...). Since then, it was a total quest to find good maki's when I moved to Abu Dhabi.

So here's the thing... I strongly believe in the saying that "if it's meant for you... it will come back to you" (word of the wise...). I was passing by the info corner at my residential lobby when my eyes happened to see a black brochure ( I love black... I even like wearing abayas encrusted in swarovski... or maybe because black makes me look thin, I suppose. .. hence the anything-black-I-adore-kind-of-feeling???).

It says... SUSHI ART.

going gaga over seaweed salad sprinkled with sesame seeds....
Boom!!! I love art... and food. Mixed it together and oh boy... I'm in love! I browsed the pages and yes... they are truly an art to behold. .. and eat!

I trooped to the place in The Beach at JBR and it was astounding... perfect-to-die-for seaweed salad (last time I tasted fresh seaweeds was when I went to Davao and they actually took some seaweed fresh from the sea into my plate). And here's the best thing... it might be a bit heavier on the purse (every nibble is worth the cent, I assure you!)... but they actually offer lunch deals where you can get 18 pieces for AED59 and that's what you call a real deal! You can even have Miso soup (normally AED9) for free as a side dish.
Hence... I can proudly say that my best friend list grew from maki to sashimi... sushi... and the list of "mi mi" is endless and topping it off with their rice vinegar. (I am drooling at the moment just the thought of the colorful artsy sushi. ..)

I don't care what other people might say... but if you crave for the best sushi place in UAE... SUSHI ART is my game!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages